CalMatters is looking for a Junior Product Designer with strong product visual design skills, and a background / experience/ interest in media, news, publishing or a similar field. You will create low and high fidelity designs, prototypes, and conduct basic design research. You should be able to deliver clean, brand compliant designs, and help build our design system. You have a desire to understand how design fits into the bigger picture, and have the skillset to communicate effectively with key stakeholders.
We’re a nonprofit, nonpartisan news startup. At the tender age of six, we’re already the largest newsroom covering California policy and politics. We reach millions of people on our website and others through partnerships with 200 media outlets, but we want to engage many more Californians with our work so they can better engage with our democracy. You’ll join a small, cross-functional team, reporting into our product designer, and collaborating with our Product Director, product managers, and product engineers to collaborate with colleagues across the company.
- Craft and deliver design mockups, specs, and production assets
- Turn wireframes into high fidelity design concepts
- Prototype designs and interactions to clearly articulate your design intentions
- Design sophisticated UI visuals from concept to execution
- Conduct research through competitive analysis to gain design insights
- Help build, maintain and expand our design system, create UI libraries and interaction components
- Collaborate with product and development teams to test existing and new designs, and iterate based on data and feedback
- This is an entry position, so we’re looking to talk with recent design graduates or people with up to two years of product visual design experience
- Proficiency in Figma, InVision, Adobe Photoshop and Illustrator
- A portfolio showcasing strong UI visuals, product design, brand, typography, color theory, illustration and photo editing
- Understand responsive design, grid system, common patterns, user behavior and principles of user-centered design
- Ability to clearly articulate design decisions & the problems they are solving
- Experience in creating high fidelity prototypes, mockups, and UI screens
- Experience in writing specs to handoff to developers and Visual QA
- Bachelor’s degree in a design related discipline, such as graphic design, visual communication, information design, or interaction design, is preferred
If you meet at least 75% of the qualifications please apply, and don’t be shy about showcasing additional skills we haven’t listed that would help our organization.
We’re committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. If you’re interested, please provide a resume, a cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job, and some examples of your previous successes.
We’re based in Sacramento, but our product team is fully distributed and we’re open to creative arrangements with people elsewhere, depending on the candidate.
If you have trouble with this form or prefer to apply by email, write to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line.