If you’re a skilled editor who moves seamlessly from daily news stories to long-term projects, gets the best out of experienced journalists while coaching newer ones and care about California in all of its diversity – from its geography to its people – you might be the next news editor at CalMatters.
We’re looking for one or more editors: full-time, part-time or contract editors available for various assignments.
Does that sound like you? Do you know the intricacies of policy and politics coverage and how to make important topics accessible for the people they affect? Do you help reporters own their beats? Do you have excellent writing and editing and analytical skills? Do you bring in-depth stories to life with text, photos, graphics, data visualization, audio and video? Do you have at least three years of professional editing experience? Are you familiar with California’s unique history and diverse communities? And are you known for integrity, high energy, a can-do attitude, flexibility and unflappability?
In four years, CalMatters has become the largest newsroom covering California policy and politics. We’re a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, and we give our coverage at no cost to more than 200 media outlets in California. With you on the team, we’ll build on that success with deeper coverage and impactful projects.
Most of our team is in Sacramento, so that’s the ideal place for these positions, but we are flexible.
Responsibilities for our editors include:
- Work with reporters to brainstorm, develop and produce lively coverage—from timely briefs to rigorously reported projects—that tells Californians what’s going on in state government and how it affects their lives.
- Encourage and exemplify a culture of innovation in storytelling.
- Be committed to promoting diversity, equity and inclusion in both coverage and for the staff you will mentor.
- Have an understanding of diverse communities across California and aim to shape our coverage to reflect those communities.
- Produce editorial packages in our WordPress publishing system.
- Work with our product, data, graphics, photography, social media, partner relations and public events teams to produce the best presentations for the biggest audiences.
- Be part of the newsroom management team, developing story plans, maintaining calendars, coordinating with other staffers and freelancers, setting and evaluating goals, and managing expenses
We are an expanding and collaborative newsroom, successfully forging a new model for sustainable, intelligent, nonprofit journalism. We’re committed to diversity and especially encourage journalists of color and members of other communities underrepresented in journalism to apply. If you’re interested, please provide a resume, a cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job and links to samples of your work. Write to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line.