CalMatters seeks an Operations Manager as we expand our impactful and inclusive nonprofit news organization.
CalMatters is an award-winning nonpartisan news venture dedicated to explaining the policy and politics of America’s biggest state and the world’s fifth largest economy. We produce vivid, original journalism and data-driven news analyses and watchdog reporting, and distribute our work to more than 250 media partners, on calmatters.org, and via Apple News, SmartNews and other platforms.
Since we launched seven years ago, CalMatters has carved out a leadership role at the center of the media ecosystem in California, establishing ourselves as a trusted brand and “go-to” hub for in-depth news and information on statewide issues. Our work has led to changes in policy, new legislation, investigations and discussions at the Capitol, in political groups and beyond — and created an awareness of important issues that aren’t getting covered anywhere else.
As we evolve from a startup to a growth company, we’re looking for someone who can shape and improve the ways in which we operate. You’ll drive and execute a variety of responsibilities including day-to-day office administration, financial management and people operations. We seek someone who loves bringing order and structure to complex processes, always looking for more efficient ways to run our operation and solve problems.
As a small organization of about 55 employees, we need an Operations Manager who can handle a variety of responsibilities, including these:
- Manage our application system, job postings and talent database
- Communicate with candidates and schedule interviews
- Support the hiring committee for each opening
- Partner with hiring managers, recruiters and senior executives to ensure that the hiring process is thorough, inclusive and efficient, and track hiring analytics
- Manage offer letters, onboarding, off-boarding, our twice-monthly payroll and our relationships with payroll and benefits providers
- Handle daily and monthly reconciliation of financial records in QuickBooks
- Manage accounts payable, employee credit cards and employee reimbursements
General Business Operations:
- Manage our Sacramento office and handle relationships with the landlord and other vendors
- Manage meeting spaces, office events, company meetings and employee travel
- Support remote work solutions for a distributed team, including acquiring and managing computers and managing software tools and online accounts
- Handle incoming visitors and general emails and phone calls
- You’re an experienced project and program manager who can easily track and communicate the status of competing demands.
- You’re solutions-focused, with the ability to assess what is needed and develop processes and workflows that are efficient, reliable and scalable to accommodate our growth.
- You’re a strong communicator and documenter, facilitating feedback, brainstorming, expectations and summations of next steps for internal and external stakeholders.
- You have related work experience, including operations, financial management and human resources administration.
- You believe in, or are at least curious about, nonprofit journalism and our mission.
Compensation and Benefits:
The base salary for this position is $65,000 per year; higher compensation may be available for someone with advanced skills and/or experience.
CalMatters offers a complete benefits package with medical, dental and vision insurance (we cover 90% of the cost for employees and 70% for dependents) from a range of HMO and PPO providers. We’ll match contributions of up to 4% of your salary to our 401(k) program, provide life insurance at no cost, and give you an allowance for personal use of your cell phone and a budget for professional development opportunities like classes and conferences.
We are an expanding and collaborative newsroom, successfully forging a new model for sustainable, intelligent, nonprofit journalism. We’re committed to reflecting the people of the state we serve and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. If you’re interested, please provide a resume, a cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job, and links to at least six online samples of your work.
If you have trouble with this form or prefer to apply by email, write to firstname.lastname@example.org with the job title in the subject line.