Do you have an eye for artistic and compelling images? Do you know how to cover news events and bring stories to life through a camera lens? Do you know how to identify the right visuals for California stories about politics, the environment, education or health care? Then you may be our next assistant photo editor
CalMatters is looking for a someone who will both take photos, work with reporters and editors to identify the best ways to illustrate their stories, handle our daily photo editing and sourcing needs and manage our photo archive.
In our sixth year, CalMatters’ diverse newsroom is the largest covering California policy and politics. We’re a nonprofit, nonpartisan organization, and we give our coverage at no cost to more than 200 media outlets in California that feature our reporting, including some of the largest and most influential outlets in the state.
If you already applied for our recent opening for a photo editor and are interested in this position, you’re already being considered for this role and don’t have to apply again.
- Photography: Cover breaking news and shoot for feature stories.
- Editing: Work with reporters, editors, producers and freelance photographers to select and prepare the images for stories, including for social media and newsletters and other channels.
- Image management: Build and manage our photo archive and related workflows, including the sharing of images with our media partners and acquisition of images from various sources.
- At least three years of related professional experience
- Familiarity with content-management and asset-management systems and photo editing software
These would be a plus:
- Video shooting and editing skills
- Experience creating visuals for social media
- Based in or near Sacramento or in the Bay Area
We are an expanding and collaborative newsroom, successfully forging a new model for sustainable, intelligent, nonprofit journalism. We offer excellent health and retirement benefits, including a 401k match, regular workshops and trainings and an annual professional development stipend. We’re committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply.
If you’re interested, please provide a resume, a cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job and links to at least six online samples of your work. Write to email@example.com with the job title in the subject line.