Year-End Drive: Support your trusted state news when donations are matched dollar-for-dollar.
Join our members whose tax-deductible donations:
- Keep our work free-to-read for every Californian.
- Fund journalists who follow and explain critical issues.
- Expand our community engagement efforts.
- Enable investigations that hold officials accountable.
- Plus, everyone who gives during our drive will receive a limited 2023 CalMatters magnet. And through Dec. 31, new $10 monthly contributors receive a reusable tote.
Make a donation
Your contribution is appreciated.
Why members give
- “CalMatters provides the best unbiased news I need to be an informed voter.”
- — Caren, Elk Grove
- “Independent, nonpartisan, detailed journalism is vital and irreplaceable.”
- — Michele, Arroyo Grande
- “CalMatters’ coverage is pertinent, precise, informative and thoughtful.”
- — Lilian, Pasadena
Frequently Asked Questions
CalMatters is a registered 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization, Federal Tax ID #47-2474086. Gifts are tax-deductible to the extent allowed by law.
What will my donation support?
Your donation supports our reporters, editors, photographers, researchers and the people who support our journalism efforts.
Is my donation secure?
Your donation payment information is processed via WooCommerce and Stripe, two of the most secure e-commerce and payment platforms available.
We do not share or sell the personal information of our donors nor send donor mailings on behalf of other organizations.
At CalMatters, we believe in transparency. We do publish the names of donors who contribute $1,000 or more to our cause.
Are there other ways to give?
Please help us create a brighter future for California by supporting award-winning journalism that educates and empowers the public and holds decision-makers accountable. We’re grateful for your commitment to quality reporting about state policy and politics and fulfilling the California promise as a place where all people can thrive. If you have any questions about other ways to give, please contact Kate Looby, Chief Development Officer.
How can I update or get support for my membership?
You can email us at any time with change requests to your membership, support for your giving and to provide critical feedback to improve our work. Please email our Director of Membership & Engagement Sonya Quick.