CALmatters is a nonpartisan, nonprofit, public-interest news organization that provides insightful and thought-provoking journalism about the major issues facing Californians, including education, environment, economy, health and human welfare.
In three years, we’ve gone from startup to the largest media organization focused on California state politics and policy. But we’re not done. Our stories are distributed on our own channels (CALmatters.org, as well as email newsletters, social channels, and news apps like Apple News) and through more than 150 print, broadcast and digital media partners throughout the state.
Our reach has grown, but our ambition is to reach as many civically engaged people in the state as we can to help ensure a more informed electorate. The CAO will be a key member of our leadership team, report to the Publisher, and will drive audience growth, acquisition, insights, and brand awareness. You will play a critical role in developing innovative, actionable and efficient digital audience development campaigns that build awareness, drive traffic and membership. We need you to help us find, attract and cultivate relationships with every Californian who cares about the future of our state. Are you up to the challenge?
- Deep understanding of the methods of attracting and acquiring new audiences and deepening engagement with them — including social, search, email, third-party and live events
- Proven track record of growing audiences through strategic engagement efforts that make readers and communities a central part of how we practice journalism and engage California voters
- Proven track record of using social media and other tools to connect with and grow a civically engaged audience, specifically vertical audience segments
- 7 years plus digital experience producing and managing day-to-day audience development, including content development, operations, testing and results monitoring for a news organization
- Experience with best-in-class SEO and SEM practices
- Experience optimizing, growing and managing best-in-class email newsletters
- Experience using traditional and creative/unorthodox promotional methods
- An ingrained test-and-learn mentality with a track record of making data-driven decisions using A/B testing
- Proven ability to rapidly scale audience, surface actionable insights, ideate and implement actionable and measurable strategies to promote and market digital products, sites
- Demonstrated success creating and optimizing organic and paid promotional campaigns on social platforms
- Ability to juggle big-picture/strategic thinking with hands-on/tactical work.
- Proficiency with digital analytics tools (Google Analytics, etc.)
- Experience and enthusiasm for training colleagues
- Excellent communication, organizational, analytical, writing skills
- Bachelor’s Degree
- California market experience a plus
- Develop and execute strategies for promotion of the brand and all of its products across the state
- Develop and maintain transparent, visible and useful audience reach and engagement dashboards for direct and distributed audience
- Identify actionable performance insights and metrics and deliver to leadership team and board
- Develop culture and processes for discovery, testing and growing new audiences using best-in-class first and second party data/platforms
- Work with audience engagement manager to train team in best practices for social, search, email and other audience development tactics and to build a supportive, engaged loyal community on our own platforms, social platforms, and other platforms
- Develop creative promotional campaigns for CALmatters member newsletter and other email products, major enterprise journalism projects, weekly news stories, video products, new product launches, organizational updates, membership drives, and events
- Build clear pathways for two-way communication between audiences and CALmatters reporters
- Experiment with new resources and tools for engagement on social media to extend the reach of our work and raise visibility of CALmatters as an innovator in the field of journalism
Think you have what it takes? If so, please send your resume or website with links to your work, and tell us about the successes you’ve had growing audience via social media and why you want to work with us.
CALmatters is committed to diversity and especially encourages members of underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities.
Email: [email protected]