CALmatters is looking for a front-end developer to work on a regular contract basis to assist in the development of the CALmatters website and the creation of editorial projects.
Who We Are: CALmatters is a media startup dedicated to explaining the policy and politics of America’s biggest state (and the world’s eighth largest economy). We produce vivid, original journalism and data-driven news analyses distributed to more than 100 media partners and on CALmatters.org. Our reporters routinely have bylines in major media outlets like the San Francisco Chronicle, KQED, KPCC, and the Los Angeles Daily News. We also have a Keurig.
Is this paid? Of course! But this is a part-time contract position.
Can I work remote? Totally! Of course it would be nice if you lived in Sacramento or the Bay Area for occasional face-to-face meetings, but that would just be an added bonus.
What will I do? You will work with our staff news developer on improving the website, building out editorial projects and creating data visualizations. Specifically, with the 2018 election campaign underway, many of the projects will revolve around telling better stories using data and web interactives.
What skills are you looking for?
- You are a self-starter who can work independently on projects and meet deadlines
- You understand the DOM and how to manipulate its appearance and behavior
- You have made beautiful and interactive web projects or features
- You know how to navigate the WordPress backend
- You have experience visualizing data using whatever tool of choice you enjoy
- You have collaborated with other developers using versioning software like Git
The Nice to Haves:
- You have experience tinkering with WordPress themes or plugins
- You have worked in a media environment and understand the general flow of journalism organizations
- You have made your web development life easier using CSS pre-processors
- You have an uncanny interest in elections and campaign finance in particular
Application Instructions: Please send a cover letter, link to portfolio or Github account, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.