CALmatters is looking for an interactives developer to work on a regular contract basis to help design and develop data visualizations, interactives and large-scale web products. This is an opportunity to flex your creative muscles and experiment with different ways of telling immersive and impactful stories on the web.
Who We Are: CALmatters is a four-year-old nonprofit, nonpartisan media organization dedicated to explaining the policy and politics of America’s biggest state (and the world’s fifth-largest economy). We produce vivid, original journalism and data-driven news analyses distributed to more than 180 media partners and on CALmatters.org, Smart News and Apple News. Our reporters routinely have bylines in major media outlets like the San Francisco Chronicle, KQED, KPCC, and the Los Angeles Daily News.
Is this paid? Of course. However, this is a part-time contract position with the potential of becoming a full-time gig.
Can I work remote? Totally! Of course it would be nice if you lived in the Sacramento area or the Bay Area for occasional face-to-face meetings, but that would just be an added bonus. Living in California is a plus though.
What will I do? You will work with our data and technology team to conceive, design, develop and maintain a wide range of web products. Immersive interactives, data visualizations, multimedia projects and news games are among the products our organization has deployed in the past, and we’re always looking for new ways to experiment with storytelling that better informs Californians about what is going on in their state.
What skills are we looking for?
- You’re a self-starter who can work independently on projects and meet deadlines
- You understand the DOM and how to manipulate its appearance and behavior
- You’ve made beautiful and impactful interactive web products centered on great user experience and effective storytelling
- You have experience visualizing data using whatever tools of choice you enjoy
- You’ve collaborated with developers, designers and reporters on small to large-scale projects, and you live and breathe version control
- You have experience working in journalism or you have the sensibilities that come with the trade
- You’ve made your web development life easier using CSS pre-processors
- Grunt isn’t just something you do when you’re frustrated
- You have some familiarity with PHP, Node or SQL
- You’re interested in climate change, education or elections
- You know how to navigate the WordPress backend
Application Instructions: Please send a cover letter, link to portfolio or Github account, and resume to [email protected].