Today is GivingTuesday, an exciting opportunity for you to support CalMatters. I’m looking back at our most meaningful work throughout the year, and we could not have done this important nonprofit journalism without our readers, subscribers and members. Thank you for reading and supporting our journalism in 2021.
When you support CalMatters today and through the end of the year, your gift will carry twice the impact. Generous supporters have provided us with $100,000 in matching funds, so each dollar you contribute will go twice as far in supporting our nonprofit mission.
Donations provide our team with an additional source of reliable revenue that helps us plan ahead for important coverage. Next year I will be busy working with our politics team to cover Gov. Gavin Newsom’s bid for reelection and campaigns for ballot propositions.
Your support can help us cover this important election. Here’s some of the ways our supporters have helped us cover California:
• We tracked the state’s pandemic response and monitored COVID cases on a tracker.
• We brought awareness to the state’s eviction crisis, preventing some evictions and generating community support for people in need.
• We explained the recall election in a comprehensive voter guide.
• We brought accountability and new oversight to nonprofits used by state legislators to raise money outside the bounds of campaign finance laws.
• We investigated the state’s “broken” licensing process for nursing homes, with one lawmaker saying our reporting “blew the lid off my thinking.”
Will you make a donation during our match and double the impact on journalism that makes California a better place to live?
Our journalism brings transparency to state government, holds our elected leaders accountable and makes complicated topics more accessible for people who want to stay informed and get involved.
You can find more details about other ways you can support our newsroom here.
Your contributions help CalMatters deliver on our mission of providing Californians with free and accessible information that helps them engage with their state government. Thank you for supporting our work.