Watch: A homelessness and housing town hall
California’s affordable housing shortage has become a full-blown crisis and the numbers are staggering. Meanwhile, the state’s growing homeless population is straining public health systems.
CalMatters, The Milken Institute and The Los Angeles Times have teamed up to organize a town hall that examines the many factors leading to explosive rates of homelessness, and the steps that local and state leaders are taking to both accelerate housing development and navigate the legal and moral maze of helping the tens of thousands of people who live in squalor on California’s streets.
The town hall will run from 10 a.m. to 3:10 p.m.
- Addressing Homelessness – Where are we and how did we get here?
- Housing and Land Use – How do land use, funding and cost, legal, regulatory, development, and NIMBY issues relate to housing for the homeless?
- Housing Supply and Displacement – What can state and local leaders do to make sure homes and units are built while supporting residents at risk of displacement?
- Rick Cole – City Manager, Santa Monica
- Dan Flaming, PhD – President, Economic Roundtable
- Stephanie Klasky-Gamer – President & Chief Executive Officer, LA Family Housing
- Jennifer Hernandez – Partner, Holland & Knight
- Kevin Hirai – Co-Founder & Chief Operating Officer, Flyaway Homes
- Susan Partovi, MD – Medical Director, Homeless Health Care Los Angeles
- Miguel Santana – President & Chief Executive Officer, Fairplex
- Ann Sewill – Vice President, Health & Housing, California Community Foundation
- Mayor Darrell Steinberg – City of Sacramento
- Supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas – Los Angeles County
- Orlando Ward – Executive Director, Volunteers of America Greater Los Angeles
- Marilyn Wells, PsyD – Co-Chair, John and Marilyn Wells Family Foundation
- Senator Scott Wiener – California State Senate, District 11
- Liam Dillon – Staff Writer, Los Angeles Times
- Matt Horton – Associate Director, The Milken Institute Center for Regional Economics and California Center
- Matt Levin – Data and Housing Reporter, CalMatters
- Benjamin Oreskes – Reporter, Los Angeles Times
- Erika D. Smith – Assistant Editor, Metro, Los Angeles Times