
From CalMatters Digital Democracy reporter Ryan Sabalow:
California’s court reporter shortage has gotten so bad that thousands of people, including alleged domestic violence victims, no longer have a written record of their civil cases, making it harder for them to exercise their constitutional right to appeal.
But it appears controversial legislation that court reporters were pushing is dead in the Legislature for the year, giving the California Supreme Court time to rule on a pending case that could decide whether California’s law prohibiting recording in many types of cases is unconstitutional.
Last month, CalMatters reported on how the court reporter shortage has soured to the point that legal aid associations petitioned the state Supreme Court to invalidate California’s law banning recording in certain civil cases.
The petitioners argued that the ban creates a “two-tiered” justice system where wealthy litigants have the option of hiring private court reporters to type up a written record. But people who can’t afford the more than $3,000 a day to hire a contract reporter are at the mercy of an understaffed court system.
After the petition had been filed, the court reporters union sponsored legislation that critics feared could conflict with the court’s decision and make the problem worse.
But earlier this week, the union’s Assembly Bill 882 was suddenly pulled off the Senate Judiciary Committee calendar. The bill, which would have lifted a recording ban on court proceedings for three years, needed to pass the committee to advance, making it likely dead for the year. Assemblymember Diane Papan, a San Mateo Democrat and bill author, didn’t return messages.
The bill’s apparent death comes after California Attorney General Rob Bonta last month took the unusual step of weighing in on the Supreme Court case, siding with petitioners.
Bonta wrote that many low-income litigants can’t get a record of their court hearings, “including proceedings that affect some of the most significant aspects of their lives.” He said the situation has become untenable for both litigants and the courts.
CalMatters published its first article 10 years ago today. We were founded to make California’s government more transparent, giving you and millions of others critical information to govern your future. For one day only, triple your impact with an extra donation match from our co-founders. Give now.
Other Stories You Should Know
CalMatters reaches a milestone today

From CalMatters Editor in Chief Kristen Go:
Today marks CalMatters’ 10th anniversary and we want to thank you for supporting our nonpartisan, independent journalism.
With consistency, our reporting spurs legislation, uncovers fraud and helps you better understand what’s on your ballot. We believe in making the lives of Californians — that’s you — better. We do that with stories, tools and events to educate and engage you. We do that by bringing transparency and accountability to our leaders and government. We do that with some of the best visual journalism in the state.
And we’re now the largest nonprofit newsroom dedicated to covering our state.
But we can’t do this work without you. You can help by:
- Giving however much you can to support our journalism.
- Sharing our work with your colleagues, friends and family to help create conversations and understanding about the vital issues in California.
- Forwarding our newsletters (like this one) to anyone who would find them helpful.
We’re looking forward to the kind of impact we can have in the next decade and beyond.
Trump guts high-speed rail, AmeriCorps funding

Let’s dive into two endeavors President Donald Trump’s administration is cutting federal funding for:
- California’s High-Speed Rail project: Gov. Gavin Newsom on Thursday said the state is suing the Trump administration over its termination of $4 billion in funding for the state’s high-speed rail project. The day before, the U.S. Transportation Secretary said it was “time for this boondoggle to die.” The massive infrastructure undertaking is intended to connect San Francisco to Los Angeles and boost local economies along the way, such as Central Valley’s Fresno. But it also has had a ballooning budget and missed deadlines. Though Trump and Republican lawmakers have been among the project’s most vocal critics, support among Californians has remained relatively steady over the years.
- AmeriCorps: After Trump’s order in April to cut funding for the public service program, California lost over 5,600 Americorps workers and $60 million. California and 23 other states are suing the administration, and in June a federal judge granted a temporary injunction to reinstate Calfiornia’s grants and allow AmericaCorps workers to return to work. But many of the workers aren’t coming back, and Trump’s recent federal budget does not include money for the program after 2026. This would lead to hundreds of California schools that have Americorps staffing facing severe worker shortages in tutoring, mentorship and after-school programs. Read more from CalMatters’ Adam Echelman and Carolyn Jones.
And lastly: Security or secrecy?

After the June shootings of two Minnesota lawmakers, the California Legislature is advancing a bill that would hinder journalists from accessing public officials’ contact information. Press freedom advocates say the measure would deny reporters information that would help keep officials accountable. Find out more from CalMatters’ Yue Stella Yu.
California Voices
CalMatters columnist Dan Walters: As the Legislature advances a bill that would require the state Board of Education to adopt phonics-based instructional materials, the dream of one renowned expert who pushed for the adoption of phonics but died in 2022, gets closer to being realized.
Other things worth your time:
We’re 10 years old today. Check out a decade of compelling CalMatters visual journalism // CalMatters
Bonta announces 33rd Trump lawsuit targeting health care cuts // KQED
CA to provide LGBTQ suicide prevention hotline after Trump administration axes it // The Mercury News
CA releases long-awaited teacher data, revealing demographic shifts // EdSource
Trump’s immigration agenda is largely avoiding a vital CA region // The Sacramento Bee
Trump officials tour Alcatraz to push new prison plans // The San Francisco Standard
ChatGPT helps prepare San Jose Mayor talking points. Now he wants a thousand city workers using AI // AP News
Trump’s National Guard troops are questioning their mission in LA // The New York Times
LA weighs a disaster registry. Disability advocates warn against false assurances // California Healthline
Hollywood’s being reshaped by generative AI. What does that mean for screenwriters? // Los Angeles Times