This is extracted for classroom use from the CalMatters explainer on voting issues.
- You are eligible to vote if you’re a U.S. citizen living in California, at least 18 years old and you’re registered where you currently live.
- You can vote as long as you’re in line when polls close.
- You have the right to cast a secret ballot.
- You have the right to a new ballot if you have made a mistake, if you haven’t already cast your ballot.
- You can get help casting your ballot from anyone other than your employer or union representative.
- You have the right to ask questions to elections officials about election procedures and watch the election process.
- You have the right to report any illegal or fraudulent election activity to an elections official or the Secretary of State’s office.